Sunday, May 4, 2008

Plagiarism

Plagiarism may become the issue that international students need to be cautious when they are studying in Australia, especially those who come from a different education environment. In my previous education experiences, the issue of plagiarism does not taken seriously. Therefore, I know less about this issue. I become more aware about plagiarism issue and how to handle this issue as I am studying at ANU.

For international students who do not know about this issue, they may become shocked if they do not try to find how to cope with this issue. This happens to me at the first time during my first semester. However, I know how to avoid this issue, as I learn how to write essays, quote others’ opinion and make citations in the assignments.

Based on my experiences, the difficult thing is to express others’ idea in our own words and readers can understand our words, especially international students may still struggle to cope with language barriers. One strategy that can assist international student to avoid plagiarism issue is by practicing a lot through assignments given by lecturers. As in the assignment students ought to present their ideas supported by credible sources, students can exercise to rephrase others’ opinion and use correct citations and references. Practice makes perfect!

No comments: