Sunday, May 25, 2008

Make Friends during Study in Australia




Studying in overseas means we will have a chance to meet and know many people from different countries. We can make friends with lots of people. It is interesting since people from different countries have different cultures, norms, values and beliefs which shape their behaviors and attitudes. Therefore, while we make friends, at the same time, we can learn new cultures which can broaden our perspectives in seeing the world.

I have a very nice experience in meeting new people while I am studying at the ANU. Some of the new people I met become my close friends, although some of them are already graduated. Most of them are people who I met in the classes. During the semester period, as international students who still find difficulty in understanding the materials of lectures, most of our time is spent to study together. We discuss the topics of the lectures and ask each other if one of us does not understand about the topics. I find this study group can help me much to understand the subjects, especially in the first semester.

During holiday, we always try to find a time which we can do some activities together. Usually, as we are interested in learning each other culture, we try to find activities that can also give us a chance to learn other cultures. We tend to choose cooking together and visiting each other. We cook food from our own country and eat together. I knew that even some of us come from Asian countries, but our foods are different. Unlike me, most of my friends can not handle spicy foods that contain a lot of chilly! When we are hanging out together, we try to learn more about each other by sharing stories of our family, friends back home, occupation, hobbies and lots more. All of the activities done are one of the most precious moments that I have during my study in Australia.

Making friends is always fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Nian,

I total agree with your viewpoints. The best thing during my study in OZ is to make good friends like you. :)

Take care,
Ally