Saturday, March 22, 2008

Study in Australia : Happy, Anxious and Sad


I arrived at the first time in Australia on 6 June 2006. In the next two years, I will study for Master of Commerce at Australian National University (ANU) which is located in the capital city of Australia, Canberra. I could not describe my feeling as I arrived in Canberra because I felt happy, anxious and sad at the same time. Frankly speaking, sad and worry were the feelings that I felt most. I felt sad because I was far away from my families, I had to face everything just by myself. I felt anxious because this my first time to study abroad in which the language use is not my mother-tongue. Furthermore, I had to pass 70% marks in the first year to continue to the second year of my study which I thought it was very tough.

However, I was trying to overcome those hard situations. I found that by making lots of friends will reduce sadness and anxiety. I knew that other international students who were in their first semester also had those kinds of feelings, so it was not only me. I also tried to find more information about facilities provided in the university to assist my study. I went to the libraries, learning centre and international education office. Although before I came to Canberra, I already searched for information about ANU and facilities provided, but it would be better if I came directly to the places. I also tried to find a student community from my country. This one was a quite helpful as I could meet other students who speak same language in whom I could ask and obtain clear information about many things especially study strategies.

As an international student, it is common to have situations like I mentioned above. It is because we will live for a quite long time in a place which may have many differences such as culture, language, habit and even food! Sooner or later, we will need to adapt with those differences. The way we make adaptation will then determine whether we can survive or not in this new place. Based on my experience, make an on-going adaptation as we get used to our surroundings.

No comments: